- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 12oz can coconut milk
- enough water added to the milks to make 4.5 cups
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- generous dash of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 T of an acidic liquid (apple cider vinegar, whey, buttermilk, yoghurt, kefir, kombucha, etc)
- Optional ingredients- dried fruit, nuts, wheat bran, ground flax seed, wheat germ, etc.
Add all ingredients to a bowl that fits in your crockpot. Fill the crock so that your bowl is in at least an inch of water (1-2" is good). Cover your crockpot & set on low. Go to bed! If you choose, you can add your optional ingredients after you've dished up the oats, rather than cooking them in. We've also poured maple syrup & coconut cream on top in the bowls. SO yummy!
**You can also use other grains in place of oats- brown rice, basmati rice, farina, etc. We've also done a mix of grains.