We've moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, stop by
http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Preparing for an Uncertain Future

Photobucket


Times are tough, and they seem to only be getting tougher for so many. When Y2K was "all the rage" I wasn't phased. About 4 years ago I began preparing for uncertain times. What uncertain time that is, I don't know. Only the Good Lord knows, but I started a pantry that puts a good amount of foods, HBA & cleaning products in our reach at all times. I began researching the trades of my ancestors. They include, but are not limited to- sewing & quilting, gardening, canning & preserving foods, saving seeds, foraging, animal husbandry, etc. I've learned how to scrimp & make do. I've learned how to make breads- yeast breads, quick breads, fry breads, flat breads, etc. I've learned how to cook with fire. I've learned how to look in my cabinets on a lean month & make a meal the family raves about. I've learned how to make a menu & stick with it, clean the house with edible cleaning products, etc. I have learned how to make shampoo, laundry detergent & convenience foods from scratch.


I've gained knowledge, the number one tool in surviving hardtimes & hardships. I now have chicks, I'm working on getting rabbits & I've recently met someone whom is willing to allow me the use of some of her land for large animals. I've begun the journey of self-protection.


I am thinking OUTSIDE of the proverbial box, and now I want to share this with you and LEARN from you as well. Because the day I quit learning is the day I meet my Heavenly Father!!!


I want to be prepared for a pandemic (Spanish Flu of 1918; swine flu), a natural disaster (Katrina, tornadoes, blizzards) or something only devastating to my own family- a death or a job loss. Sometimes, something as simple as being without water for 12 hours has crossed our path, and we're ready with the storage of gallons & gallons of water. It doesn't mean the end of the world w
hen you think of preparing for survival. Some of the things I've just listed are things that happens as often as a drought in Georgia. It happens as often as you change a newborn's diaper.


So if you are interested in learning or sharing how to prepare for uncertain times, stop by & join Prepwise. We look forward to hearing from you!




**Prepwise is a predominantly Christian Community, but we have different walks among the members. Please don't feel frightened off because of this.

No comments: