We've moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, stop by
http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Peach Butter


4-4.5 pounds peaches
4 cups sugar (I used cane sugar)

Wash & blanch peaches. The firmer they are, the longer they'll need to blanch. Remove your peaches from your boiling water & put in ice cold water. Peel, pit & slice peaches. Put 1/2 cup water in a large saucepot & add peaches. Simmer until peaches are soft. Puree, using a food processor or food mill, but do not liquefy. Measure 2 quarts of peach pulp.

Combine peach pulp & sugar in saucepot & cook until thick enough that it rounds up on a spoon. Stir frequently to avoid your mixture sticking. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims of jars & put your lids & rings on, turning just til you feel resistance (if you tighten your lids down too tightly, you may have trouble removing the later). Process your jars in a water bath canner for 10 minutes, adjusting your time according to your altitude.

If you prefer spiced peach butter, add 1/2-1 teaspoon of ginger, nutmeg & cinnamon (or a variation) at the same time you add your sugar.

2 comments:

Jhona O. said...

Oh my lands! That looks SO delicious. I think I'll try making the spiced peach butter. I have never heard of it! I tried my hand at apple butter a while ago. So easy:) Thanks for posting this!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Good morning!
Those jars look lovely and think how yummy they'll be this winter on toast, bagels, english muffins, etc....

I made my peach jam with honey this year and it turned out great! I got the recipe from the book; Stocking Up; How to preserve the foods you grow naurally by the editors of Organic Gardening and Farming. This is the orignial book they have reprinted it with a book 2 and a book 3. All have the same recipes, only updated more in the new editions.

Since we have been actively cutting all processed sugars from our diet, I love finding recipes alread figured out, so there is no trial and error issues.

Have a blessed week!
Kelle