We've moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, stop by
http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Egg Drop Soup (or Egg Flower Soup)

I was hungry. I was reading a forum in which someone mentioned "slurping the egg drop soup." So I googled a recipe, figuring I'd add it to next month's menu plan. I found a recipe on about.com & decided to give it a whirl. Right then. I never realised how easy egg drop soup was to make. In an effort to feed my family more foods that are nutrient dense (in other words, more bang for my buck), it is important to use homemade broth or stock. I also specified pastured eggs, which are far more nutritious than caged birds. If you don't know where to find pastured eggs, try Local Harvest or Eat Wild. This is my tweaked version of the original recipe:

Egg Flower Soup

1 quart homemade bone broth (chicken or turkey)
2 pastured eggs, beaten
1/8 t Chinese 5-spice powder
1/4 t each onion powder & garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Green onions, chopped, optional

Bring to a boil the stock. Add the rest of the ingredients except the eggs. Stir. Slowly pour in your eggs, stirring the whole time. Remove from heat & enjoy!

The 5-spice, onion & garlic powders add a very authentic taste. I think they really pumped up the flavour & were much better than the original recipe would have been.

2 comments:

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Hey! Glad to see you back, we missed you. Hope you got all rested up. I took a break too, now we're into full time Spring cleaning mode!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it for dinner for Cortney and myslef, MIke wouldn't eat it *sigh*, he's far, far better but still a picky eater.

Welcome back to bloggerville

Sara said...

Well geeeeeeesh, that looks easy enough. Might have to give this a try after I make some more stock.