We've moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, stop by
http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sunflower Seed Butter

I don't eat a lot of nut butters. I do like cashew butter. The problem with them is the nuts are not soaked. Soaking is a vital part of healing cavities, as well as overall health. This includes nuts & grains. Sunflower seeds do not have to be soaked from what I'm told & from what I can find on the subject. The only other nut I have on hand is walnuts, and since I wanted to make something now, I went with sunflower seeds. Before I go to bed tonight, I will (hopefully, if I remember) set some walnuts to soak.

Here's how I did my sunflower seed butter:


Sunflower Seed Butter

  • 1 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
  • 2-4 T light oil (olive oil, rice bran oil, etc. I advise against coconut oil in this recipe, as it will be stored in the refrigerator & will become rock solid & unspreadable)
  • pinch of salt

Blend seeds in blender or processor until ground well. You want almost a powder form. If you can attain a powder form, even better. Once your seeds are (close to) powdered add salt, and slowly stream your oil in while your blender is running. Add enough oil to your desired consistency. Store in a glass jar in your refrigerator. Makes about 3/4 cup.

All of the recipes I've seen called for a sweetener. Personally, I think raw sunflower seeds are sweet enough on their own, and I chose to forgo the sweeteners. This will also help in the healing of cavities.

1 comment:

Tatersmama said...

Mmmm! I just happen to have a big bag of sunflower seeds on hand, but I don't have a blender! (I don't use many mad-cons) I'll see if I can't get a friend to lend me her blender though!
Fresh nut butter, here I come!!