We've moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, stop by
http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/
Don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why we will no longer support the Susan G Komen Foundation


I'll be back with more. This is an opening to many more posts. I will be linking up. I will be quoting others & I will continue to share the reasons why we will no longer support the Susan G Komen Foundation. Shame really, they have the capacity to do so much.

On 4/23 I posted to the wall on facebook of the Susan G Komen page.

"<< From your sidebar- "Imagine life without breast cancer"

KFC, Pepsi, etc. For real?Have you SEEN the cancer causing ingredients in these items? Have you considered hitting up chiquita, Horizon or other companies that actually have a healthy natural product?"

A little while later I noticed that my message was no longer there. Since facebook has been having some issues, I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt. My gut, of course, told me they'd deleted it.

My initial response was:

“Freedom of speech is not an option on this page? I posted earlier about KFC & Pepsi causing cancer & it's been removed.

Make no mistake- I've lost loved ones to Breast Cancer, so believe me when I say I WAS a HUGE supporter. I'll find a company that truly believes in a cure from now on. I'll also be sure to let others know that you are in for the money, not for the cure.”

I chose not to do that one JUST IN CASE it was a glitch & they truly hadn't deleted it. Instead I went with a “nicer” approach:

“Interesting I posted something earlier & it's not here anymore? I'm wondering if any of the "researchers" have researched the ingredients, the cancer causing ingredients in the sponsors of SGK? Pepsi, KFC, Yoplait??? Will this message be deleted as well???”

After posting above, I noticed the comment right below mine was asking if the page deleted the comments of the members, to which I also responded.

I'm not stupid. As I mentioned, I had a gut feeling that they CHOSE to delete my comment. So this go round, I took a screenshot of my messages on the page (Please click on image for a larger view).

Sure enough, by the time I went to bed, not only was MY comment deleted, but also the one questioning if posters are censored.

Now according to their sidebar, they also mention “We must remain loyal to our participants......” I'm wondering if the loyalty these days is actually about finding a cure or if it's loyalty of another sort. After all, this is a HUGE corporation. If breast cancer ceases to exist, there will be a LOT of people out of a job. If you think for a moment this statement isn't true, think again. If you think all the people working for SGK aren't paid, and that they are volunteer, think again. The only loyalty they've come to know is greed. Let's break this down.....

Susan G. Komen site states:

“KFC and Susan G. Komen for the Cure® are teaming up this spring to raise funds and spread breast cancer awareness and educational messaging via a major national campaign which will reach thousands of communities served by nearly 5000 KFC restaurants.

Participating KFC franchise locations will be selling specially designed pink buckets of grilled and Original Recipe chicken. KFC has pledged 50 cents to Komen for every pink bucket ordered by its restaurant operators during the promotion period, with a minimum donation of $1 million and a goal to raise more than $8 million. Twenty-five percent of the funds raised will be earmarked to Komen’s 120-plus domestic Affiliates for breast cancer programs in their communities. The remainder of the funds will support Komen’s national research and community programs.

The lids of these special pink buckets will have a call to action to get involved. Names of breast cancer survivors and those who have lost their battle with breast cancer will be listed on the sides of the bucket. The pink buckets will be available through May 30, or while supplies last.”

Original Recipe® Chicken

Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning.

Here's what's really pathetic. The grilled chicken they make mention of? I can't find the nutrition information on the site for that. Kinda scary, no? In the above you see quite a few chemicals.

Going beyond..... My friend Julia put it best with the following. It's another reason, I've learned that I am falling out of respect with Susan G Komen Foundation.

“They focus on early detection to the exclusion of prevention. Okay, early detection is great and surely saves lives, but they should be putting MORE emphasis on prevention. Why don't they do that? Oh, because preventing breast cancer doesn't make anyone any money. Early detection, on the other hand, makes the Cancer Industry beaucoup money throughout a cancer patient's life. The Komen foundation is now ALL about making money, not saving anyone's lives (though they are great at pretending to care about saving lives). As a breast cancer survivor, that makes me SICK and I cannot support them in any way shape or form unless they radically change.”

Now I don't know about you, but I'd much rather say goodbye to breast cancer from the get-go. If cancer were prevented, poor Komen Foundation wouldn't have a leg left to stand on. BUT..... even early detection doesn't always save lives. This goes back to their sidebar that reads "Imagine life without breast cancer.”


Imagine


Life


Without


Breast


Cancer......


Imagine that. Imagine a world where the key is NOT early detection, but prevention.....

More to come.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Very well said. And I completely agree! It all comes back to the money.