Sunday, May 8, 2011
The perpetrator..... A brushed silver look clock..... We got it when we were married. It was on our registry. It was cool at the time. Actually it still wasn't a bad clock, I just refused to buy a new clock, and this one wasn't fitting into any of the rooms in the house.
I took the whole thing apart with some ideas on what to do. I decided on some parchment look paper we had. Unfortunately, the paper didn't cover the whole face, so I opted for a torn collage look. I used some Elmer's school glue & water to make a decoupage type adhesive. Once it was dry, I'd trim it.
Except that I think I added WAY too much water to the glue mix, and once it was dry, it was barely stuck in most places. The gob of paper came right off. Rather than even consider going that route again, I remembered I had just bought a remnant of burlap last Thursday. Yes, this would be perfect & even better for the look I was going for. I was planning on using scrapbook number stickers for the paper background, but with the burlap, I wasn't sure how that would work. I scrounged the house looking for something to use on the burlap. I was considering buying some wood disks, maybe some wooden numbers. I really didn't feel like going out, though. I did go to True Value, but that's only a few blocks from my house. I needed spray adhesive for the burlap. I just wasn't up to rummaging through the "big box" stores.
I was trying to come up with a way to make sure the "numbers" were aligned, so I jumped onto google images & did a search for printable clock. As a homeschooling momma, I knew those would be plentiful.
I printed one out, cut around the edge & did a loop of tape & centered it onto my burlap.
Then I added my "numbers." I found 2 packs of 6 buttons in one of my sewing boxes. They were solid brown, so using an emery board, I roughed them up a bit.
I removed my printed clock & voila! Now I just needed to put the clock back together....
Except that when I did, I realized I'd put the buttons too far to the outer edge, and the clock rim & glass wouldn't fit back on. I had to very carefully peel the buttons away & scootch them in a bit more. While the clock was a part I used Krylon's Ruddy Brown primer, followed by a couple coats of Krylon's Celery spray paint in gloss. Once those were dry, I used the aforementioned emery board & roughed it up a bit, giving it that beautiful distressed look I'm so fond of.
Here it is hanging in the kitchen again (pics of the kitchen will be soon to follow, since I just finished it-mostly-up a couple days ago).
And because everybody loves a good side by side before & after.....
This post is part of the following linky parties:
Making the World Cuter Monday
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Mad Skills Party @ Mad In Crafts
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog